Facing Divorce? See what steps you can take to protect what's yours.
Divorce Home » Divorce Laws in Your State » Alabama

Alabama Child Support


When determining child support in divorce, the Alabama divorce court first determines a basic child support obligation that's based on the adjusted gross income of both parents and what would have been available to the child if the family has stayed together.

Work related childcare expenses and health care costs are added in to calculate a total child support obligation that is divided between the parents in proportion to each one's adjusted gross income.

Have child friendly divorce with help from a divorce attorney.

The Alabama divorce law on child support obligation also considers the number of children being supported and other circumstances, such as existing child support obligations.

Divorce laws in Alabama provide a child support worksheet that can be used to calculate child support and estimated incomes used in calculating child support are usually based on past pay stubs or W-2s.

The parent with Alabama child custody is presumed to spend his or her share directly on the child. It's possible to modify child support if there's a significant change in circumstances after the original child support order.

Work toward protecting your financial future, as well as your child's by speaking to a local Alabama divorce lawyer. Connect today by calling 877-349-1310 or filling out an Alabama divorce case review form.

Case Evaluation

The above synopsis of Alabama divorce laws is by no means all-inclusive and has been adapted from applicable state laws. These laws may have changed since our last update and there may be additional laws that apply in your situation. For the latest information on these divorce laws, please contact a local Alabama divorce lawyer in your area.

Alabama divorce laws were last updated May 2009.

Note: Keep in mind that all divorce laws are complex. If you need legal divorce advice or want to fully understand how these laws affect you, please speak with a local divorce attorney.