Facing Divorce? See what steps you can take to protect what's yours.
Divorce Home » Divorce Laws in Your State » Alabama

Alabama Grounds for Divorce


Alabama divorce courts allows couples to file for divorce under no fault and fault grounds. A no fault divorce will be granted under divorce laws if it's proven the spouses cannot live together because of incompatibility of temperament or there's been an irretrievable breakdown in the marriage.

During the no fault divorce process, the couple will need to recognize the set Alabama divorce waiting periods to make sure reconciliation isn't possible.

Connect with a divorce attorney to understand the divorce process.

Fault divorce will be granted on the following grounds:

  • Adultery
  • Imprisonment
  • Crimes against nature
  • Physically and incurably unable to enter into the marriage
  • Habitual drug or alcohol use
  • Violence
  • Insanity
  • Voluntary Abandonment

Before filing for no fault or fault divorce, the couple needs to meet the Alabama residency requirement.

In both no fault and fault divorce, the reasons for the breakdown of the marriage need to be shown in the divorce petition, while meeting the requirements of Alabama divorce law. A local Alabama divorce lawyer can advise you on how to handle filing for divorce and help you meet the state requirements.

Learn about what to expect in your divorce and how Alabama divorce law may affect it by calling 877-349-1310 or filling out an Alabama divorce case review form.

Case Evaluation

The above synopsis of Alabama divorce laws is by no means all-inclusive and has been adapted from applicable state laws. These laws may have changed since our last update and there may be additional laws that apply in your situation. For the latest information on these divorce laws, please contact a local Alabama divorce attorney in your area.

Alabama divorce laws were last updated May 2009.

Note: Keep in mind that all divorce laws are complex. If you need legal divorce advice or want to fully understand how these laws affect you, please speak with a local divorce attorney.