Facing Divorce? See what steps you can take to protect what's yours.
Divorce Home » Divorce Laws in Your State » Alaska

Alaska Divorce Waiting Periods


State divorce laws establish divorce waiting periods during the divorce process to make sure there isn't the possibility the couple will consider reconciliation before continuing with the divorce. Depending on the state divorce laws, there may be divorce waiting periods before or after filing for divorce.

Some states also have a remarriage waiting period, where either one or both spouses must wait a certain amount of time after the divorce is finalized before remarrying.

Understand divorce laws and filing divorce with a divorce attorney.

Under Alaska divorce laws, there isn't a waiting period before filing the divorce petition. As long as the petitioner meets the Alaska residency requirement, he or she can file for divorce at any time.

Once the divorce petition has been filed, there is a 30 day waiting period before any divorce proceedings can continue. State divorce law doesn't require either spouse to wait before remarrying after the divorce is finalized.

A local Alaska divorce attorney can explain how these waiting periods will affect your divorce, as well as other Alaska divorce requirements that may affect the length and cost of divorce.

Connect with an Alaska divorce attorney near you by calling 877-349-1310 or filling out an Alaska divorce case review form. Get legal advice about divorce today.

Case Evaluation

The above synopsis of Alaska divorce laws is by no means all-inclusive and has been adapted from applicable state laws. These laws may have changed since our last update and there may be additional laws that apply in your situation. For the latest information on these divorce laws, please contact a local Alaska divorce lawyer in your area.

Alaska divorce laws were last updated July 2009.

Note: Keep in mind that all divorce laws are complex. If you need legal divorce advice or want to fully understand how these laws affect you, please speak with a local divorce attorney.