Facing Divorce? See what steps you can take to protect what's yours.
Divorce Home » Divorce Laws in Your State » Colorado

Colorado Grandparent Visitation

Visitation rights for grandparents aren't always automatically provided by the divorce court; however, the Colorado divorce court does allow for grandparents to make a motion for child visitation in child custody or parental responsibility cases. Grandparents can petition for child visitation rights in divorce, changes in legal child custody or death of a child's parent - if the grandparent is the parent of the deceased parent.

When grandparents seek parental responsibility for grandchildren, the Colorado divorce courts will consider any credible evidence of the grandparents' past conducts that suggests child abuse or neglect. Colorado divorce courts will allow, modify or terminate visitation rights for grandparents, depending on what in the best interest of the child.

A local Colorado divorce lawyer can further explain your rights as a grandparent in child custody and child visitation. Speak with a local Colorado divorce attorney to see if you can get child visitation rights as a grandparent. Call 877-349-1310 or fill out a Colorado divorce case review to find out more about protecting your relationship with your child or grandchild. If you child custody case doesn't involve divorce, you can still find a local Colorado lawyer who is familiar with family law to get answers to your child custody questions.

Case Evaluation

The above synopsis of Colorado divorce laws is by no means all-inclusive and has been adapted from applicable state laws. These laws may have changed since our last update and there may be additional laws that apply in your situation. For the latest information on these divorce laws, please contact a local Colorado divorce lawyer in your area.

Colorado divorce laws were last updated April 2009.

Note: Keep in mind that all divorce laws are complex. If you need legal divorce advice or want to fully understand how these laws affect you, please speak with a local divorce attorney.