Facing Divorce? See what steps you can take to protect what's yours.
Divorce Home » Divorce Laws in Your State » Delaware

Delaware Alimony

If the couple is not able to reach an agreement about an alimony award during divorce, the Delaware divorce court will order one spouse to make alimony payments to another. Alimony may also be referred to as spousal support or spousal maintenance.

When determining alimony during a Delaware divorce, the divorce court will consider the following factors:

  • Financial resources of the spouse seeking alimony
  • Standard of living established during the marriage
  • Length of the marriage
  • Age and health of each spouse
  • Ability of a spouse to pay support
  • Tax consequences
  • Time and expense required to acquire education or training to help the seeking spouse find appropriate employment
  • Finances or other contributions made by either spouse to the education, training, vocational skills, career or earning capacity to the other
  • Whether a spouse has foregone or postponed economic, education or other employment opportunities during the marriage
  • Other relevant factors

Find out what you can expect to pay or receive in alimony. A local Delaware divorce attorney can explain how the circumstances of your divorce may affect alimony. Get in touch with Delaware divorce lawyers near you by calling 877-349-1310 or filling out a Delaware divorce case review form. Get started protecting your financial future today.

Case Evaluation

The above synopsis of Delaware divorce laws is by no means all-inclusive and has been adapted from applicable state laws. These laws may have changed since our last update and there may be additional laws that apply in your situation. For the latest information on these divorce laws, please contact a local Delaware divorce lawyer in your area.

Delaware divorce laws were last updated July 2009.

Note: Keep in mind that all divorce laws are complex. If you need legal divorce advice or want to fully understand how these laws affect you, please speak with a local divorce attorney.