Facing Divorce? See what steps you can take to protect what's yours.
Divorce Home » Divorce Laws in Your State » Indiana

Indiana Child Custody

State divorce laws set the key factor as the best interest of the child when determining child custody.

Have child friendly divorce with help from a divorce attorney.

Typically, the divorce court will allow the couple to negotiate child custody and then approve the agreement. If the spouses aren't able to come to an agreement, the divorce court will consider the following circumstances:

  • Age and gender of the child
  • Wishes of the child's parents
  • Child's wishes, with extra weight being given to the child's wishes if the child is at least 14 years old
  • Interaction and relationship of the child with the parents, siblings and other people who significantly affect the child's best interest
  • Ability of the child to adjust to home, school and community
  • Mental and physical health of everyone involved
  • Evidence of domestic violence
  • Possibility that child has been cared for by someone other than the parents

Filing for divorce is a complicated process, but  an Indiana divorce attorney can help you understand the divorce process. Find out what to expect in child custody arrangements and other aspects of your divorce by speaking to a divorce attorney today.

Call 877-349-1310 or fill out a divorce case review form to have your case reviewed and to get legal divorce advice from a local Indiana divorce attorney.

Case Evaluation

The above synopsis of Indiana divorce laws is by no means all-inclusive and has been adapted from applicable state laws. These laws may have changed since our last update and there may be additional laws that apply in your situation. For the latest information on these divorce laws, please contact a local Indiana divorce lawyer in your area.

Indiana divorce laws were last updated October 2009.

Note: Keep in mind that all divorce laws are complex. If you need legal divorce advice or want to fully understand how these laws affect you, please speak with a local divorce attorney.