Facing Divorce? See what steps you can take to protect what's yours.
Divorce Home » Divorce Laws in Your State » Indiana

Indiana Property Division

Divorce laws in Indiana follow equitable property distribution principles, meaning the divorce court will divide the marital property by what is considered fair and reasonable.

Protect your home during property division with a divorce attorney.

When making property division decisions, the Indiana divorce court will consider certain circumstances, including:

  • Each spouse's contribution to the acquisition of the property, regardless of whether the contribution was income producing
  • Property that was acquired by each spouse before the marriage or through inheritance or gift
  • Economic circumstances of each spouse at the time of property distribution, including the desire to award the family home to the custodial parent
  • Conduct of the spouse during marriage
  • Earnings or earning ability of the spouses as relating to the final property division and final determination of property rights of the spouses

If you are filing divorce and want to learn how divorce laws may affect your property division, connect with a local divorce attorney today. Get legal advice about property division and other aspects of your divorce by finding an Indiana divorce attorney to help you through the divorce process.

Get in touch with a divorce attorney today who can review your case by calling 877-349-1310 or filling out a divorce case review form.

Case Evaluation

The above synopsis of Indiana divorce laws is by no means all-inclusive and has been adapted from applicable state laws. These laws may have changed since our last update and there may be additional laws that apply in your situation. For the latest information on these divorce laws, please contact a local Indiana divorce lawyer in your area.

Indiana divorce laws were last updated October 2009.

Note: Keep in mind that all divorce laws are complex. If you need legal divorce advice or want to fully understand how these laws affect you, please speak with a local divorce attorney.