Facing Divorce? See what steps you can take to protect what's yours.
Divorce Home » Divorce Laws in Your State » Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania Residency Requirement

Before filing for divorce in Pennsylvania, one spouse must be a resident of the state for at least six months. The divorce process or Pennsylvania annulment can occur in the county where:

  • The Respondent resides
  • The Petitioner resides, if the defendant lives outside of the state
  • The couple lived during the marriage, if the petitioner has continuously lived in the county
  • The Petitioner resides if it's before the six month period after the date of final separation and the respondent agrees
  • Either spouse lives if it's before the six month period after final separation and neither spouse continues to live in the county where the couple lived during the marriage
  • The Respondent or petitioner live if after the six month period after the date of final separation
  • After discussing the residency requirements, a Pennsylvania divorce lawyer can also go over the Pennsylvania divorce waiting periods and any other state requirements or divorce laws that may affect your divorce. Get in touch with a local Pennsylvania divorce attorney today by calling 877-349-1310 or filling out a Pennsylvania divorce case review. Pennsylvania divorce law can be complex, and there are many exceptions to the rules. Make sure you don't go through the Pennsylvania divorce process alone.

    Case Evaluation

    The above synopsis of Pennsylvania divorce laws is by no means all-inclusive and has been adapted from applicable state laws. These laws may have changed since our last update and there may be additional laws that apply in your situation. For the latest information on these divorce laws, please contact a local Pennsylvania divorce attorney in your area.

    Pennsylvania divorce laws were last updated April 2009.

    Note: Keep in mind that all divorce laws are complex. If you need legal divorce advice or want to fully understand how these laws affect you, please speak with a local divorce attorney.